Wednesday 16 January 2013

My Math Autobiography

 
 
 
          Throughout my schooling, I have had significantly different experiences with mathematics, some positive and some negative. As a primary and elementary student I enjoyed math class, primarily because I always had encouraging teachers who stressed not only the importance of learning mathematics but also the importance of having fun while doing so. I remember working in groups in order to complete simple word problems or to share manipulatives. I looked forward to math class because of its interactive nature, something I did not really experience in other subject areas. I remember using a variety of materials at both the primary and the elementary levels such as, rulers, protractors, meter sticks, flashcards and place value blocks. There were often mathematical themed posters on the walls of my classrooms, displaying different mathematic symbols or various mathematical problems. The majority of my math classes would consist of completing math problems from a math booklet, either independently or as a group. These math activities usually consisted of addition and subtraction equations, multiplication problems and word problems. In terms of assessment, I remember having to complete worksheets which were collected and marked by our teachers and then placed in a portfolio, having to complete problems at home and then participating in a homework check and completing unit quizzes which would be graded.

         As I progressed from Kindergarten to Grade 6, I became more and more confident in my mathematical abilities and this positive attitude was definitely shaped by a number of dedicated and supportive teachers. It was clear that my teachers wanted my classmates and I to succeed with mathematics and that it was a subject area that they believed to be valuable. Rather than simply handing out worksheets and asking us to complete them quietly as they sat at their desks, the majority of my teachers would circulate the classroom as we worked, providing additional instructions and praise. To be honest, math and language arts are the only two subject areas that I can clearly remember, probably because they were always given the most emphasis at my school. The constant encouragement and the positive feedback that I was given throughout primary and elementary school is what I would consider to be my overall favourite memory surrounding mathematics, in other words feeling as though I was 'good' at mathematics. I did not have any 'bad' experiences with math in primary and elementary and I believe that is why I had a positive attitude towards math in general.

          However, when I got to junior high, my attitude towards mathematics changed drastically. Since I was a Late French Immersion student, my math course in grade seven was taught in French which really threw me off course. From grade seven to grade nine I struggled with mathematics and found my teachers to be more dismissive and less encouraging. By the time I reached high school, I was ready to give up on math because I no longer thought of myself as a 'good' math student. However, it was in high school that my experiences with math became positive again. I had amazing teachers who did everything in their power to prepare my classmates and I for university level math, to change our negative views of math that had developed in junior high and to make math class an enjoyable learning experience once again. They held math tutorials every day after school and provided information classes on graphing calculators and smart boards. I believe that my positive experiences in primary and elementary, as well as in high school are why I like and value mathematics today.

           In university, I decided to take Math 1090 and 1000. Although, I found these courses to be much more difficult than my high school math courses, I felt prepared for them. I visited the Math Help Center often while I was taking both courses and found it to be extremely helpful and encouraging. Overall, I enjoyed math at Memorial and feel as though I learned a lot from both courses. However, I did not choose to do any math electives once I had my two required math courses completed.

           I do not feel as though I engage with mathematics in any major way in my life, but I do use it occasionally such as when I'm dealing with money, calculating grades or measuring something. However, as a future teacher, I know I will be using math on a daily basis and I feel prepared to do so. Overall, my experiences with math, the good and the bad, have taught me to always have a positive attitude and an open mind towards mathematics, and this is something I hope to instill in my future students, in order to assist them in reaching their maximum learning potentials.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment